Sunday, September 16, 2012

Lovely as a Tree


This weekend I went camping with my family to one of the many beautiful places close to our home town.

Card from convention display board
Here is a picture of our camping spot earlier in the year.
We were right next to a creek and trees of pine needles and leaves.  We laid on a blanket on a moonless night and stared at the milky way as we waited for shooting stars to flash past and we saw leaves as they turned to gold and swirled into the creek and we smelled the pine sap on the warm air.  It was heaven.  I am grateful for such a beautiful place to live--Rexburg, Idaho, United States, the Earth, the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the galaxy--all good places.  And I am grateful to a God who cares about all of those people in all of those places and who made such a beautiful place to be.  

Trees
I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the sweet earth's flowing breast;

A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

A tree that may in summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree. 
Joyce Kilmer

No comments: